Training people to follow a consultative approach to negotiations enables them to better understand the obstacles to success and how to get around them.
Without properly understanding and preparing its easy to fall into the trap of giving away value too early in the process.
There are four fundamental principles that guide our training.
- Understanding and being prepared
- Using the right tools or techniques at the right time
- Managing what needs to be managed
- Negotiating at the right time, in the right way
When people negotiate before or avoiding doing the first three it’s easy for them to destroy value not only for their business, but for the customer, supplier or other side as well. Ultimately the deal may turn out to be not as good as everyone had hoped for at the beginning.
Through asking the right questions, using our QLS skills toolkit we enable sales people to better understand customer needs creating more meaningful discussions. These are what will reveal the pathway to a better negotiated outcome. Better for everyone.
The challenge is:
Sometimes people are left to go-it-alone. This can be disastrous. Not because the individual does not have the skills required, more so because we are all limited by our own biases, emotions and perceptions.
Negotiating successfully is as much about managing yourself as it is about influencing others.
What’s in it for your people
- Strategies, skills, tools and tactics that they can use to their advantage in business and personal situations.
- Insights into human psychology, emotions and biases, which means that they can get react to and influence others in better ways when they need to.
- The understanding of what threatens negotiator performance.
- Ways to diffuse negative or destructive tactics.
- Critical and creative consultative decision-making skills.
- QLS our questioning skills toolkit and how to deploy it.
- Training that involves them. Learning by doing and observing.
- An understanding of how to use service or selling of ideas before negotiating.
- How to control the negotiation process, use anchors to maintain momentum and different types of agreement to help people make decisions.
- The PSL checklists that improves decision making and reactions when under stress. What you think and how you feel does not have to drive how you behave, when you have checks for keeping control.
- Better trained and informed employees or colleagues
- Protecting your organisation now and over the long term
- Having tools that can be used to review and replicate good performance
PSL training provides the tools that your people can use to position themselves to win trust and ultimately better outcomes.
Of course, there’s a lot more to it. But what matters most is that we will work with you and your people to deliver the type, style and content of training that they need.